Ginastera centennial highlights around the world(January 2016)
Events to celebrate the centennial of Alberto Ginastera in 2016 take us from his Argentinian native city of Buenos Aires to the USA, Europe and beyond.
Highlights are listed below and full information appears on our website performance calendar.
* Argentina celebrates with a new production of Ginastera’s opera Beatrix Cenci at the Teatro Colón (Mar), a ten concert series by the Buenos Aires Philharmonic conducted by Enrique Diemecke (Apr/Oct), and Daniel Barenboim returning to his native city to conduct performances of the Violin Concerto with his son Michael Barenboim and the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra (Jul).
* Brazilian centenary feature across São Paulo Symphony Orchestra’s season with five Ginastera works including Harp Concerto and Piano Concerto No.1 (Apr-Oct).
* Performances in Mexico City of Violin Concerto (Jan) and Piano Concerto No.1 (Jun) with Orquesta Sinfonica del IPN and Enrique Diemecke and Cello Concerto No.2 with Orquesta Sinfónica Nacional de México and Carlos Miguel Prieto (Apr)
* New York highlights include the return of Christopher Wheeldon’s Estancia to New York City Ballet (Feb/Apr), a Trinity Wall Street series this spring entitled Revolutions with 15 Ginastera works (Mar-May), a programme of all three quartets at the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center (Apr), and a Ginastera at 100 series presented by Barbara Nissman at Spectrum (Apr).
* Los Angeles Philharmonic and Gustavo Dudamel perform Piano Concerto No.1 with soloist Sergio Tiempo at Walt Disney Concert Hall (Feb), followed by a tour to Lincoln Center in New York, the Paris Philharmonie, the Luxembourg Philharmonie and the Barbican in London (Mar).
* Juanjo Mena records new Ginastera CD series on Chandos with the BBC Philharmonic and conducts performances of Violin Concerto with the Spanish National Orchestra (Mar), Harp Concerto with the Berlin Philharmonic (May) and Variaciones Concertantes with the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood (Jul).
* All-Ginastera programme in Katowice with the Polish National Radio Orchestra including suites from Panambí and Estancia together with Ollantay (Feb) and Harp Concerto with Krakow Philharmonic Orchestra (May).
* Performance of Ginastera’s final orchestral work Popol Vuh in Karlsruhe with a lighting installation by the celebrated designer rosalie (Apr).
* Asian premiere of Piano Concerto No.1 with the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra (Oct).
* First Scandinavian performance of Ginastera’s early Concierto Argentino by Stavanger Symphony (Apr) and Harp Concerto with Gothenburg Symphony (Feb)
* Christopher Wheeldon’s Estancia ballet toured by New York City Ballet to the Châtelet in Paris (Jul)
* Performances of Dances from Estancia by orchestras worldwide, in 14 countries.
* 2016/17 season at Teatro Real in Madrid includes new staging of Bomarzo by Pierre Audi, travelling on to Dutch National Opera in a future season.
If you would like your Ginastera performance to be added to our web calendar please contact your local Boosey & Hawkes office:
> Ginastera centennial recordings
> Ginastera events in Buenos Aires
Photo: Annemarie Heinrich
> News Search