In a letter to Breitkopf & Härtel Beethoven called his small sonata op. 79 “Sonate facile” or “Sonatina”. With its moderate technical difficulty, the work is very well suited for advanced beginners. We have to thank Muzio Clementi for the creation of this lively sonata with its well-known first movement entitled “Presto alla tedesca”; in tedious negotiations he had been able to persuade the “haughty beauty Beethoven“ to compose two new works, the later sonatas op. 78 and 79.
The internationally renowned Beethoven specialist Jonathan Del Mar has evaluated all available sources and presents a reliable and conclusive musical text that comes as close as possible to the composer’s intentions. Source discrepancies and editorial decisions are documented in the Critical Commentary. An informative Introduction is followed by valuable notes on performance practice which discuss questions regarding pedalling, dynamics, articulation, and ornaments. The elegant engraving and practical page turns facilitate the study of the sonata.
• Scholarly-critical Urtext edition at the cutting edge of scholarship
• Elegant engraving and optimal page turns
• Of moderate technical difficulty
• Informative Introduction (Eng/Ger)
• With notes on period performance practice (Eng/Ger)
• Includes a Critical Commentary (Eng)