Bernstein was both a brilliant orchestrator and gifted tunesmith, penning some of the most memorable melodies ever written. As part of the Bernstein centenary, Deutsche Grammophon presents the ultimate collection of his greatest songs from West Side Story, Candide & On The Town – masterpieces at the zenith of this extraordinary composer's creative canon.
DG’s recording of West Side Story, made in New York, in September 1984, represents Bernstein’s final vision for his great American musical. This wasn't a typical 'cast recording': everybody was recruited especially for the job and moulded, literally overnight, into a musical team; and for Bernstein, who had never conducted the work before, it was an opportunity to explore the work as he had envisioned it.
Michael Tilson Thomas’s recording of On the Town features an inspired cast, and a more perfect pairing of soloists has seldom graced a Broadway show.
The performances from Candide are drawn from Bernstein’s last-ever studio sessions and represent the composer’s final thoughts on his great opera. Moreover, DG’s version of it is seen as the definitive statement of one of his greatest and most accessible compositions, created just eleven months before his untimely passing.
Featuring all-star casts, with artists including José Carreras, Kiri Te Kanawa, Marilyn Horne, Thomas Hampson, Christa Ludwig, Nicolai Gedda, Frederica von Stade, June Anderson, Jerry Hadley
WEST SIDE STORY:
1. The Dance at the Gym – Mambo
2. Something’s Coming (José Carreras)
3. Maria (José Carreras)
4. Tonight – Balcony Scene (José Carreras), Kiri Te Kanawa)
5. America (Tatiana Troyanos, Angelina Reaux, Louise Edeiken, Stella Zambalis)
6. I Feel Pretty (Kiri Te Kanawa, Angelina Reaux, Louise Edeiken, Stella Zambalis)
7. Somewhere (Marilyn Horne)
Conducted by LEONARD BERNSTEIN
ON THE TOWN:
8. New York, New York (Thomas Hampson, Kurt Ollmann, David Garrison)
9. Taxi Number: Come Up To My Place (Tyne Daly, Kurt Ollmann)
10. Carried Away (Frederica von Stade, David Garrison)
11. Lucky To Be Me (Thomas Hampson)
12. Ya Got Me (Frederica von Stade, Kurt Ollmann, Tyne Daly, David Garrison)
London Symphony Orchestra · London Voices · Conducted by MICHAEL TILSON THOMAS
14. Life is Happiness Indeed (June Anderson, Della Jones, Jerry Hadley, Kurt Ollmann)
15. Oh, Happy We (June Anderson, Jerry Hadley)
16. Glitter And Be Gay (June Anderson)
17. I Am Easily Assimilated (Christa Ludwig)
London Symphony Orchestra · Conducted by LEONARD BERNSTEIN