Catalogue No: GMCO092
Shop Product Code: 254293P
Flute(s), Oboe(s), 2 Clarinets, Bassoon(s), 2 Horns in F, 2 Trumpets in Bb, Trombone(s)
Timpani, Percussion (2/3 players - Tambourine, Triangle, Bass drum, Cymbals, Snare drum, Gong [opt.])
Harp and/or Piano
Strings (Violin 1, Violin 2, Viola, Cello, Bass)
This is the Kent of Restoration times, based on the journey made from Dover to London by Charles II on his return from exile. The five movements are:
1. DOVER is a hornpipe with two trios in the seventeenth-century English style.
2. A CHORAL PRELUDE ON CANTERBURY Orlando Gibbons died at Canterbury and is buried in the Cathedral there. This choral prelude on his Song 13 ("Canterbury") also employs the Canterbury chimes as the basis of the imitative counterpoint.
3. PASTORAL AND FOLK-SONG captures the mood of the Kentish countryside, of soft green landscape and damp earth. The pastoral is temporarily interrupted by a somewhat bucolic Kentish folk-song entitled "I have house and land in Kent".
4. SWIFT NICKSOF GAD'S HILL - a scherzo. Nicholas Nevinson was a highwayman of the period who plied his business at Gad's Hill near Gravesend. His famous ride to York, usually associated with the name of Dick Turpin, earned his title to fame, and King Charles, on hearing of his exploits, granted him a free pardon and dubbed him "Swift Nicks".
5. GREENWICH: PAGEANT OF THE RIVER. The last stage of the journey to Whitehall was accomplished on the Royal yachts and was in the nature of a ceremonial return to London. The dignity and grandeur of the pageant is suggested in this processional march.
Only one each of flute, oboe, bassoon and trombone is required but the parts are marked so that a second player can act as "ripieno". The harp part is essential in No.3 though this can be played on a piano; otherwise the piano is only required to cover any weaknesses.
Duration about 20 minutes
A PACK comprises one full score, all wind brass and percussion parts and strings 4/4/3/4/2
Write a Review. The best reviewer each month wins 20% off their next order!
There are currently no reviews for this product.