Saxophonist Michael Duke presents his second CD on the Saxophone Classics label, this time with long time collaborator pianist David Howie as HD Duo. The recording shines a spotlight on some of the indelible compositions contributed to the musical canon as well as world premieres by women composers present and past.
• Opening and closing the CD are two polar opposite trio works by Pulitzer Prize winning composer Jennifer Higdon. While Dash leaps off the page with unceasing high energy, Lullaby sings with a calming great beauty.
• Reveling in the harmonic influences of Debussy and Ravel are the two compositions of Fernande Decruck, depicting the sounds of France, Cambodia, Indonesia and beyond.
• This world premiere recording of Stacy Garrop’s Fragmented Spirit shows why she is such a powerful force in new music. The deeply emotive music truly runs the gamut.
• Commissioned specifically for this project, Australian composer Katy Abbott’s Undercurrent juxtaposes everlasting long lyrical phrases with potent rhythmic energy.
• One of the most prolific contributors to the saxophone repertoire, Ida Gotkovsky’s work presents a tour de force of lyricism and virtuosity with the premiere recording of her Incandescence.