These works are taken from the following archive sources:
• On Wenlock Edge from Argo RG 20
• Merciless Beauty from a broadcast on 28 May, 1960
• Prelude on Three Welsh Hymn Tunes from the work’s first broadcast on
12 March, 1955
• Five Tudor Portraits from Capitol Records CTL 7047, recorded live at the
First Pittsburgh International Music Festival, 1952.
• Bach; The Great Bourgeois was originally broadcast on 28th July, 1950
Front cover is a view of the Malvern Hills from a Victorian post-card.