Catalogue No: UT50171
Shop Product Code: 249042F
Johannes Brahms showed an interest in the music of previous epochs at an early age. In this context, he also came across the variation theme of George Frideric Handel which, in turn, inspired him to write an extensive work of variations for the piano. The new edition of the Wiener Urtext Edition is based on a meticulous comparison of autographs, first edition and personal copies. Brahms's autograph copy served as an essential corrective; subsequent corrections of the composer in the personal copy of Max Kalbeck were taken into account as well. Changes in tempo and indications of expression of Brahms's first manuscript version until the first edition allow conclusions about the composer's interpretational ideas; they are analysed in the notes of interpretation. The clear and readily legible engraving makes this edition a convenient basis for studying this masterpiece.
The Wiener Urtext Edition is a critical musicological edition for practical use and is distinguished from many other Urtext editions by comprehensive textual information in German and English and partly also in French.
REASONS FOR WIENER URTEXT
• Reliable musical text on the basis of the sources reflecting the composers’ ideas as authentic as possible
• Significant text variants for performance practice
• Useful fingerings for musical practice
• Page layout for practical use with convenient page turns
• Clearly printed, reader-friendly layout on high-contrast music paper
• Sustainably printed with green power
Write a Review. The best reviewer each month wins 20% off their next order!
There are currently no reviews for this product.