Pierangelo Valtinoni studied Organ and organ composition, Choral music and choir conducting, Composition and Orchestra conducting. As an organist he has performed in Italy and abroad; as the conductor of the Paralleli Ensemble and the Icarus Ensemble he has given numerous concerts in Europe and Mexico.
His compositions are recorded for various labels, broadcast by Italian and foreign national broadcasters and published by various publishing houses including Boosey & Hawkes and Carus Verlag. In particular, Valtinoni’s Pinocchio, The Snow Queen, The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Pigafetta and the first journey around the world and The Little Prince, written with the librettist Paolo Madron, are among the most represented contemporary children’s operas in the world (Latin America, Australia, Austria, China, Korea, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United States).
In 2006 he won the prize for best musical commentary at the “60th National Festival of Dramatic Art in Pesaro”. In 2014 he received the ASAC Award for Choral Music, in 2017 was nominated “Accademico Olimpico” by the Accademia Olimpica of Vicenza, and in 2019 was awarded the mention of “Cittadino Benemerito” by the Municipality of Montecchio Maggiore, his hometown. He was a member of the Artistic Commission of the Feniarco, and His activity as a composer of operas has been the subject of four different theses. He holds lectures and seminars on analysis, orchestration and composition and was a teacher at the Conservatory of Vicenza.
Pierangelo Valtinoni studied Organ and Organ Composition, Choral Music and Choir Conducting, Composition and Orchestra Conducting. He held a teaching position on his own compositions at the IV Franco Donatoni Composition Course in Mexico City, at the Kinderchor Opern Neue Musik Symposium in Berlin and at the International Festival Europa Cantat XVIII in Turin, at the conference La musica e il giornalismo in Vicenza, at the review Marzo musicale leoniceno in Lonigo (Vicenza), at the Lehigh University Music Department in Bethelem (Pennsylvania) and at the Cooperation-Lab in Moscow. He gave also lessons on analysis and composition at the European Seminary for Young Composers in Aosta and at the Accademia di direzione corale “Piergiorgio Righele” in Venice, and he held Masterclass in Opera Composition for ViolOpera - Teatro musicale in Treviso (IT). He teaches Instrumentation and Orchestration at the Conservatory of Vicenza. He was a member of the jury of various music competitions.
As an organist and orchestral conductor, he has carried out intensive concert work with a particular focus on the twentieth century and contemporary music. He was the founder and conductor of the Paralleli Ensemble of Vicenza and has, for some years, conducted the Icarus Ensemble of Reggio Emilia, performing concerts in Italy (Venice: Festival Galuppi; Milan: Nuove Sincronie, Scuola Civica; Turin: Società Casella; Palermo: Musica su più dimensioni; Reggio Emilia: Di Nuovo Musica, etc.), Europe (Munich: Hochschule für Musik, Gasteig; Amsterdam: Gaudeamus Week 1998) and Mexico (Guanajuato: Festival Cervantino; Mexico City: Festival Donatoni).
His compositions are performed all over the word. They are recorded for the Ariston-Ricordi, Tactus, Discantica, Internationales Forum Junge Chormusik, Osnabrücker Jugendchor, Song & Music Production, Carus Verlag, I Polifonici Vicentini, Azzurra Music, Sony DADC, Istituto Diocesano di Musica Sacra di Vicenza and Ema Vinci Classic labels and have been broadcast by Deutschland Radio, Radio Berlin rbb, Danmarks Radio and the Italian Sky Classica and Radio 3. He has published by Boosey & Hawkes, Carrara, Carus-Verlag, Feniarco and Cipriani.
He had commissions from the Teatro alla Scala di Milano, the Komische Oper Berlin, the Opernhaus Zürich the Internationales Forum Junge Chormusik of Rotenburg-Wümme, the Concorso Internazionale Organistico Gaetano Callido in Borca di Cadore, the Festival Organistico Internazionale Marco Enrico Bossi in Salò, the Duomo di Milano, the Festival Klavier Theater 2002 in Treviso, the VI Festival Box Organi in Lallio (Bergamo) and from the Società del Quartetto, the Festival Biblico 2015, the Ensemble Musagète, La Piccionaia, the Orchestra del Teatro Olimpico, the Theama Teatro and the Asiago Festival 2017 in Vicenza, the 1° Concorso Organistico Internazionale “Fiorella Benetti Brazzale”, the Pigafetta500 and the Theater Dortmund (Germany).
He wrote eight children’s operas:
- Il ragazzo col violino (“The boy with the violin”): libretto by Roberto Piumini, performed in 1997 in Vicenza and published by Boosey & Hawkes.
- Pinocchio: one of the most represented contemporary operas (Komische Oper Berlin, Hamburgische Staatsoper [Kampnagel], Oper Leipzig, Bayerische Staatsoper [Reithalle], Teatro Regio di Torino, Moscow Pokrovsky Chamber Opera, Teatro Circo in Braga, Teatro Olimpico and Teatro Comunale in Vicenza, Opera Estate Festival Veneto in Bassano del Grappa, Teatro de la Zarzuela in Madrid, Shatin Town Hall Auditorium in Hong Kong, Gran Teatro Nacional in Lima, Landestheater Coburg, Volksoper Wien, Tulsa Opera, Daejeon Arts Center in Daejeon - South Korea, Teatro La Fenice in Venice, Gwangju Culture & Art Center in Gwangju City - South Korea). Libretto by Paolo Madron, published by Boosey & Hawkes.
- La Regina delle nevi (“The Snow Queen”): libretto by Paolo Madron, commissioned by the Komische Oper Berlin and performed at the Komische Oper Berlin, Hamburgische Staatsoper [Kampnagel], Heinrich Schütz Konservatorium of Dresden, NorrlandsOpera in Umeå, Teatro Comunale in Vicenza, Auditorium of Milan, at the Tulsa Opera, in Tulsa, Oklahoma and in Bassano del Grappa by Opera Estate Festival Veneto. In June 2015 the Dvd of the Opera was presented: it was recorded at the Komische Oper Berlin and producted by Boosey & Hawkes. In October 2023, the opera will be performed at Hong Kong’s Shatin Town Hall.
- Il Mago di Oz (“The Wizard of Oz”) based on a libretto by Paolo Madron, published by Boosey & Hawkes and commissioned by the Zurich Opernhaus, was staged in the same theatre from November 19th, 2016 to February 5th, 2017 with a German translation by Hanna Francesconi. The opera was also performed in Bassano del Grappa with the new production of Opera Estate Festival Veneto, at the Komische Oper in Berlin, at the Opernhaus Erfurt, the Auditorium Concordia in Pordenone and at the Palais Theatre, St Kilda, Melbourne, produced by Victorian Opera.
- Alice nel Paese delle Meraviglie (“Alice in Wonderland”) also on a libretto by Paolo Madron and published by Boosey & Hawkes. The opera was commissioned by the Opernhaus Zurich in co-production with Yip’s Children Choral and Performing Arts Centre in Hong Kong. In April 2021, it was performed at Hong Kong’s Shatin Town Hall. On 12 November 2022 it had its European Premiere at the Zurich Opernhaus. From 3 December 2022 it will be performed at the Theater für Niedersachsen in Hildesheim, Germany. In 2024 it will be performed at the Komische Oper in Berlin.
- Pigafetta e il primo viaggio intorno al mondo (“Pigafetta and the first journey around the world”), which was premiered at the Teatro Comunale di Vicenza on 7 and 8 September 2022.
- Il Piccolo Principe (“The Little Prince”), an opera commissioned and produced by Teatro alla Scala di Milano, staged in the same theatre from 15 October 2022. In the same year, it was also performed at the Teatro Fraschini in Pavia and, in 2023, at the Auditorium Concordia in Pordenone. From November 2023 it will be performed at the Teatro Regio in Turin. In 2024 it will be performed at the Regensburg Opera House, the Theater an der Wien in Vienna and the Staatstheater in Darmstadt.
- Die Reise zum Planet 9 (“Journey to Planet 9”), commissioned by the Dortmund Opera House in co-production with the Deutschen Oper am Rhein Düsseldorf/Duisburg and the Bonn Opera House, will be staged from 20 March 2024 at the Operhaus in Dortmund, Germany.
His activity as a composer of operas has been the subject of of four theses: Il flauto e la poetica di Pierangelo Valtinoni by Anna Crestani, Pierangelo Valtinoni - Opera lirica per ragazzi by Giorgia Podda, Le “Meraviglie”, l’opera e il direttore d’orchestra by Alex Betto and The children’s opera “Pinocchio” by Pierangelo Valtinoni by Chiara Casarotto.
His composition for the theatrical performance Un teatro per Jules - L’ultima rotta di Verne won the prize for the Best Musical Score at the 60th Festival Nazionale di Arte Drammatica in Pesaro. He also received the Premio ASAC per la musica corale in 2014. In 2017 he has been nominated Accademico Olimpico by the Accademia Olimpica in Vicenza. In 2019 he was awarded the mention of Cittadino Benemerito by the Municipality of Montecchio Maggiore, his hometown, and his CV can be found in the book La Bella Montecchio by Nevio Zanni. Since 2020 he has been a member of the Artistic commission of the Feniarco.
He participated in the reconstruction of the opera Malombra by M.E. Bossi, for the world premiere on September 16th, 2005 at the Teatro Comunale in Bologna.