• New Orleans-based composer and pianist, whose musical influences traverse multiple musical genres
• Recipient of the Rome Prize, Herb Alpert Award, and United States Artist Fellowship
• Currently Composer-in-Residence with Opera Philadelphia and Creative Partner with the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra
• Recent commissions from New York Philharmonic, Opera Philadelphia, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, LA Phil, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Imani Winds
• Cross-disciplinary collaborations with visual artists, directors, writers, and musicians
Works by Courtney Bryan include:
Syzygy (2019) for violin and orchestra
Bridges (2019) for orchestra
Requiem (2019) for four soprano voices and ensemble
And What I Mean is This (2018) for violin and viola
Gathering Song (2023) for solo baritone and orchestra
Watch our video introduction to Courtney Bryan and her music.
Looking Ahead: On September 15-16, Bryan’s White Gleam of Our Bright Star is presented by the Grand Rapids Symphony and Marcelo Lehninger.
A new chamber work for the International Contemporary Ensemble, led by Vimbayi Kaziboni, receives its world premiere at the Kaufman Music Center in New York (Nov 1).
"Her music speaks to us with urgency and honesty." —Carlos Miguel Prieto