Edited from the autographs and the Original Edition by Ernst Herttrich. Fingering of the violin part by Saschko Gawriloff / Fingering of the piano part and comments on interpretation by Günter Ludwig.
Franck's Sonata is one of the most famous works in the chamber music repertoire. This new Wiener Urtext Edition is based on the first edition with Franck's final corrections. Inconsistencies between the piano score and the solo part are due to annotations by the violinist Eugène Ysaÿe, the dedicatee who was given the work as a wedding present. This version, likely to have been authorized by Franck, is published for the first time in an Urtext edition. Günther Ludwig, in his preface, suggests a carefully considered, cerebral approach to this highlight of the repertoire.
The Wiener Urtext Edition is a critical musicological edition for practical use and is distinguished from many other Urtext editions by comprehensive textual information in German and English and partly also in French.
REASONS FOR WIENER URTEXT
• Reliable musical text on the basis of the sources reflecting the composers’ ideas as authentic as possible
• Significant text variants for performance practice
• Useful fingerings for musical practice
• Page layout for practical use with convenient page turns
• Clearly printed, reader-friendly layout on high-contrast music paper
• Sustainably printed with green power