The world wants to be deceived and people are searching for love – for the profit-seeker and amateur astronomer Ecclitico , the nature of the task is therefore clear: the innocent Bonafede must sacrifice his purse and his daughter if he wants to find happiness in the world of paradise on the moon. Haydn wrote “ Il mondo della luna ” to a libretto after Carlo Goldoni in 1777 for the wedding celebrations of a son of his royal employer Eszterházy . It is a jewel of buffo opera, a stage work which was only rediscovered in the 20th century. Now a critical new edition, in line with modern performing practice, has been newly engraved and published.
The new vocal score, available on sale for the first time, is based on Vol. XXV/7 of the Haydn Edition and follows the widely-accepted interpretation of the work. An appendix contains arias from the “new version”, and smaller variants are easily identifiable, and annotated in the music text.
- Based on the Urtext of the Complete Edition of “Joseph Haydn Werke ”, published by G. Henle Verlag
- Original Italian text, with German singing translation
- Vocal score with clearly-marked, incorporated original variants and alternative versions in an appendix
- Editorial additions in cue-sized notes
- Detailed foreword (Ger/Eng)