Substantial four-movement work composed around 1903 for the German-born virtuoso Adolph Borsdorf (1854-1923), professor of French Horn at both the Royal College of Music and the Royal Academy of Music, London. The complete horn part survives in manuscript in the British Library along with sketches for the piano part. Martin Yates has recreated the piano part at the request of the Vaughan Williams Charitable Trust. The preface gives insight with regard to Martin Yates's approach to the reconstruction and on the presumed connection with Borsdorf, one of the leading horn-players of his time.
An important new addition to the horn repertoire of this period, released to mark the composer's 150th anniversary year.